Monday, February 3, 2014

Crazy Week

One week ago I was still in the MTC!! How weird is that??
On Tuesday everyone in my MTC district left, except for Sister P and me. Tuesday we had classes, which were two on one, it was kind of awesome! We also had our last lesson with our TRC investigator ---, who I'm almost positive is a real investigator. ON SATURDAY SHE COMMITTED TO BAPTISM!!! We told the people in the TRC office and they said that they would hook her up with the Provo missionaries so that she could get the lessons that she needs to get baptized!! (: So excited!! 
We left crazy early Wednesday morning and had a layover in Denver, where I got to call home. It was really nice to be able to talk to everyone. When we landed in Tulsa President and Sister Shumway were waiting, it was so surreal to finally be in Oklahoma!!
We went to the mission home, ate lunch and then President and Sister Shumway and the Assistants (notice that I said Assistants not APs because the only abbreviation we use in the OTM is OTM :D) talked to us a little bit. Then, Sister Shumway let us take a nap!!! HOW NICE OF HER!! Haha!! After our nap, we ate dinner, talked a little bit, then we got our area and companion assignments!! (Notice that I'm making you all wait, this is not nearly as long as I had to wait! I was the second to last one that he told! It was funny though because the last one that he gave out was the girl that had been saying all day "I just can't wait to find out what my first area is!!" Okay, I guess I'll let you know now!
I am in Tulsa East Zone, Fair Oaks area! It's in this town in Oklahoma called Broken Arrow. It's really nice, I think most of the residents are in the middle to upper middle class financially. My companion is Sister L, she is a Sister Training Leader, and she is really nice. She's been out for about a year, and she's been in Fair Oaks for 4 transfers! 
On Thursday we got to our areas! Since I'm in a subdivision of Tulsa it was only like a fifteen minute drive from the mission home, which was really nice, I know some of the areas are much longer drives. We got to our apartment at like 7, so we did personal and companion study, ate lunch and then went out. We had a few appointments, and we dropped by some investigators and less active houses before we went to dinner.
We had dinner at this house where three sisters live (like, actual related sisters, not sister like Sister Smith or whatever). They call their house The Coop, like a chicken coop, get it!!! They are so nice, and so funny!! 
On Friday we got an opportunity to go tracting! No one was home at the first two houses we knocked on, the third house was my suggestion, we knocked and waited, I was starting to think no one was going to answer, but then someone did! Before we could even say  "Hi! How are you?" They slammed the door in our face without saying a word! Sister L said that has never happened to her before though. Apparently people will usually let us say our bit before they tell us that they're not interested. We handed out three copies of the Book of Mormon and also gave them cards that had our number on them. I'm still praying that at least one of them calls us!
On Saturday we had a baptism, it was really great, but there was a little bit of a fiasco! When we go there we turned on the font, but whoever told Sister L how to do it told her wrong. So when it was like halfway full we realized that the water was super cold!! We were trying to figure out what to do, and eventually Sister L had to put on a jumpsuit and get into the font and flip the drain so that we could fix the balance between hot water and cold water!
The rest of the baptism was soo good though! The girl's family came (they weren't taking the discussions or anything), and her mom was crying, so maybe we'll hear from them at some point!
It started snowing at about 7:30 on Sunday, church is at 1 here, so at about 11 the bishop texted us and said that church was canceled. It stopped snowing at about 12, and Sister L and I had the okay to drive, so borrowed the Bishop's snow shovel and shoveled people's driveways. I was expecting a ton of snow since church was cancelled but there was only like 2-3 inches... It was kind of hilarious to be honest.
We had dinner at a member's house and they took a picture of us to text to our moms (Mom, attach the picture, please ;)) Mom texted the family a little bit, they were telling me what she was saying, it was kind of weird to be in the same room as someone that was texting my mom and knowing that I couldn't text her. I didn't make me homesick or anything, it was just kind of bizarre. 
I really love it here in Broken Arrow. The people are so nice and the church is pretty big here, the ward is (well an actual ward, not a branch) like the size of a Utah ward! I mean, the boundaries are a lot bigger than they would be in a Utah ward, but there are a lot of active members, AND the ward split like a year ago! 
I know that this is where I am supposed to be and I can't wait until I have a better grasp on what's going on and I can really start to serve the Lord.  I love the Atonement so much, and before I started my mission I never really realized how much it was a part of everything we learn at church. I am so grateful for that. I would be nothing without His sacrifice for us. I want so badly to live with my Heavenly Father and my Savior and without the Atonement I wouldn't be able to do that.
I love you all so much, you are all in my thought and prayers. I'm so grateful for all of your love and support, I wouldn't be here without it, I know that for a fact. 
Sister Fleck

No comments:

Post a Comment