Saturday, January 18, 2014

First Letter from the MTC :D

The first week here has been amazing! I love the MTC, and being a missionary so much!
Wednesday was pretty much the scariest day of my life. After Mom, Dad and Tanner dropped me off an Elder helped me with my bags and helped me find a host Sister who could help me out. I got my badges (:D) and a few other things then my host took me to my residency to drop off my bags and then to my classroom. When I got into my classroom two or three elders and one sister were already there. After a while one other Sister and my companion, Sister P came in and then our teachers started talking with us, to be honest, I can't remember what about. We then went to meet the MTC presidencies and their wives, they talked to all the new missionaries about some really great stuff, once again, I can't really remember what, but I do remember that it was great. We closed with Army of Helaman, and in the chorus instead of singing "We will be the Lord's missionaries" we sang "And we are now the Lord's missionaries." which was really cool. Then we went to dinner and had Wednesday Night Experience, which was pretty cool There was an actor that was acting as an investigator, Elders knocked on their door, and kind of got to know them a little bit, then they left and let us (a large group) do the teaching. We did this three times with three different investigators, the first time didn't go too well, we weren't able to get our message across very effectively. The second one went really well, the investigator had lost his wife to cancer and wasn't sure where she was now. We were able to tell him about eternal families. It was a really cool moment. The last question from a missionary and his answer was just such a strong moment. A Sister asked him, "What if I could tell you a way that you could be reunited with your wife and continue to be a family with her and your children." He was quiet for a moment and then said, "Young lady, if I could come to believe that, I would turn heaven and earth upside down to do it." Then we were out of time and we had to go!! It was such a strong moment to close on!
Thursday we had a People and Progress workshop, and we kind of went over more of the stuff that we did on the Wednesday night experience, finding out about people and how to figure out what they need to know and how the gospel can help them. It was really cool. The days seem really long here, and Thursday feels like a week ago, so I'm having a hard time remembering what all we did. I think it was mostly just classes. OH! We did get assigned our Progressing Investigators. Progressing Investigators are one of our teachers portraying a person that they taught on their missions. Sister P and I have ---. She's a mom of 5, she's married to an inactive member, but was really introduced to the church through her Mother in law, when she moved next door to ---'s family because she was sick. We met our Branch President, his wife, one of the councilors and his wife. They are so great!
Friday was, once again, more classes, but Sister P and I got to teach ---! It was a cool experience. We went in there so sure that she needed to hear about Heavenly Father's love for her and ended up talking about trials and why we have them. I don't think we got the point across very well, but the spirit was there. We invited her to pray and ask Heavenly Father if he loves her, she wasn't comfortable praying in front of us, but said she would on her own. To be honest, I don't think she will... But Sister P and I are already planning for our next lesson with her on Monday and we're going to get her to pray with us, because we've learned how to comfort people's concerns when they don't want to pray with us. The best part of Friday, though was the last, about an hour or so of the day before we went back to our residencies. At the MTC, you see all these districts hanging out and laughing and having a great time. My district had been getting along, but we didn't really know each other very well. After gym time (which was after dinner) we had personal study and then companion study. The Sisters got a little distracted and instead of doing companion study we just started chatting. The last half hour or so two of the Elders came in to let us know what time it was, or something (I can't really remember) and we just started talking and laughing with them too, then the other two Elders came in and we just got to know each other, and we were laughing and talking and having a great time for about 15-30 minutes. It was so great to get to know the Elders and get really comfortable with them. The really cool part was that we were just talking about things we're interested in, nothing church related, but we still closed by sharing some scriptures and a prayer. No one said "We should close this with scriptures" or anything, one of the Elders just said, "Hey, I want to share a scripture with all of you." Then it reminded a couple of us about other scriptures.
I guess I should introduce my District now (:
The Sisters are Sister P and I, Sister P is my companion and she is amazing. She has such a strong spirit and testimony about her. I've never met someone that has their testimony about them, if that makes any sense, I can just almost feel her testimony when we're talking about the gospel! The other Sisters are Sister O and Sister G, they are great Sisters, and I'm so glad I get to share a residency with them! We all get along so well! The Elders are Elder G and Elder A, and Elder S and Elder M. I don't have any pictures of us this week ): but I will next week, I promise!! Sister P and I are the oldest. (She's also 21, but I'm a month older ha-ha) and we're also the only ones in our district going to the Oklahoma Tulsa Mission, the rest of our district is headed to St. Louis, Missouri.  We all have very different personalities, but we all mix together so well!! It is so cool! I love learning from these other missionaries!!
So today is my P-day (obviously), and in a couple of hours we get to go to the temple! I'm really excited to not only experience the temple, but to experience it as a missionary with the amazing Sisters in my district!
This is such a great place to be! I'm so happy to be here!
Love,
SISTER FLECK
(^That's me!! WOW!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment